Thursday, July 22, 2010

Week 3, Entry 1

It is interesting to assess the subtle differences between England and America. At first glance, it sometimes seems as though they are not so different. But after my experience at Ohio State, I have noticed one important difference.

English people do not seem to have any qualms with vehicular homicide. I say this in jest of course, but the fact is, there seems to be a serious disregard for the pedestrian population. At Ohio State, I usually envison the relationship between cars and people to be that of an unending battle. Neither party wants to be the one to stop and yield to the other, but the fact is observed that someone has to stop, and that the pedestrian is the more vulnerable of the two. However, in London I have noticed that motorists do not share the same views. I have many a time experienced a car horn blasting at me while I cross the street. Usually I am among at least twenty of my peers, so we make quite a large group. It would seem that someone driving a car would understand that we are tourists and that we will be done crossing the street shortly. My experience has proved that their patience has waned.

After these experiences and many others, I had come to the conclusion that English people are rude. I told my mom about this and she reacted with surprise. She remembered the English being charming and accommodating to Americans. I told her that things had obviously changed since she had been to London. However, just today as I was in the tube trying to make my way to a platform, a man was in my way. As I moved around him, he said ,"Oh, sorry darling!" And at that point I remember thinking "Now there's the English politeness I've heard so much about!" I realized at that point that London is not just a place for me to visit. London is a home. It is a place that is flooded with people every day, people who live their lives in London, work in London, and pass their time in London. Being a tourist is only the tip of the iceberg.

No comments:

Post a Comment